A cobbler is the easiest pastry dessert to make. No fussing over the pastry, the filling hardly needs your effort and the results are always stunning. With strawberries in season and the season of love coming up, I thought a strawberry cobbler would do complete justice to Valentine’s day. What’s even better, you can use different fruits in the filling.
A cobbler has a certain rustic charm to it. It doesn’t need to be served pretty or perfectly symmetric. The process itself of making a cobbler is a rather toss everything together kind of style. Perfect for making last minute, with minimal effort and maximum results.
How to make a cobbler :
A cobbler has two parts to it. One , a fruit filling and two a biscuit topping. The fruit filling is barely a procedure, since all you need to do is toss the vanilla and sugar with the fruits. The baking will do the rest for you.
As for the biscuit topping, it’s the least demanding pastry you could ever make. Flour, butter and sugar rubbed together, roughly held together with a beaten egg.
Although I made this pastry by hand, I realized later, that I could have used a food processor to make it( like I make my shortcrust pastry) and it would have been a breeze. So, go ahead, look it up on the link above and use a processor if that’s what you prefer.
Variations for this cobbler:
I’ve used strawberries and blueberries in this cobbler, because I just love the idea of a berry mix. If you don’t like berries or they aren’t available, you can make the filling with apples too.
It’s great to serve this cobbler with ice cream. The combination of a warm cobbler, smothered with scoops of vanilla ice cream is just perfect. If you want to skip the ice cream, serve it warm and plain, or use whipped cream instead.
Follow me on Instagram for daily updates.
For the filling :
400 gms strawberries,
100 gms blueberries
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
For the cobbler topping
1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup/1 stick butter, cubed and softened
Vanilla ice cream for serving.
- Preheat the oven to 180. Wash and quarter the strawberries.
- In an ovenproof dish, toss the strawberries, whole blueberries, the vanilla and the sugar.
- Mix together and spread the mixture in the bottom of the dish. Keep aside.
- To make the topping, in a separate bowl, mix the sugar, salt and flour.
- Rub in the butter with the flour, using your fingertips, until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- You can alternatively do this in a food processor too. ( Check here)
- Add the egg and bring the mixture together. It needn’t be a smooth dough but will be enough if the dough just about holds together.
- Spoon this topping over the fruits, ensuring it covers all the fruit.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes in a preheated oven, until the topping is golden.
- Serve the cobbler warm, with some vanilla ice cream on the top.